Devonshire Made Artist Showcase
Devonshire Collective will showcase 5 South East artists and host a networking event as part of our new series for artists, Cafe Culture.
Come along to a late opening to see the artwork and hear talks from the selected artists including:
- Izabela Brudkiewicz
- Nikki Davidson Bowman
- April Yasamee
- Paula MacArthur
- Jane King
Tickets are £5 & include food tastings & a complimentary drink, first come first serve.
Tickets can also be purchased on the door on the night.
In partnership with Blue Monkey Artist Network
OUR FIVE SELECTED ARTISTS
- Memory, 2017. Photocollage print on Hahnemulle rag paper 92 x 125cm
- Darling, 2017. Photocollage print on Hahnemulle rag paper 62 x 87cm
- George and dragon, 2017. Photocollage print on Hahnemulle rag paper 62 x 87cm
‘Create to destroy, destroy to create’ Bouke De VriesNikki Davidson-Bowman is a multi media artist, whose practice is often inspired by found objects and words. Creating fresh narratives; she takes discarded objects, books or texts on new journeys to bring the past into the present, developing one off installations, small editions & poetry, which evolve through cutting, collecting, cataloguing, playful experimentation, making, destroying, researching, remaking and removing. Her practice is habitually obsessive, meticulous & laborious, contradicted with chance processes and randomness, using the outcomes of making as receptacles for the unsaid and the unseen.
The works presented are from an on going project, The Absent Archive, that brings new life and purpose to some discarded and reclaimed photographs, slides and documents. The project involves research and analysis, and as time progresses, an opportunity to make work in response to the archive. The pieces provide a fragmented commentary of a lifestyle, relationships, & journeys as well as a sense of time and place. From the chaos of the archive comes order and a time to think about what the archive reveals.
She will be showing the following works:
- Presumptuous Views. Slide transparencies, thread and light hanging installation. Approx 210cm high x 90 cm wide x 35cm depth approx.
- I hope I won’t be a disappointment in the flesh. Found photograph and stitch (Framed). 45 x 45 cm
- Lady in Red. Collaged ephemera, threads, words and poetry, installation. The installation consists of five opened artists ‘books’ 19x13x11 cm. to install on a plinth(s) or in cabinets so size variable. Poem on wall
- Virgin’sVeil. Screenprint (Framed). 31 x 84 cm
- Lost & Found. Paper, type, voice (sound piece in box, needs to be near plug). Floor to ceiling scroll 10cm wide and stand alone sound box